Fifa Puskás Award 2019: breakdown of the 10-strong shortlist
the Hungary legend, is given to the best goal scored in the last 12 months. Notable winners include Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar, while Premier League duo Olivier Giroud and Mohamed Salah won the trophy in 2017 and 2018, respectively.he Puskás Award, named after
These are the 10 goals which Fifa has deemed the cream of the crop. Do you agree? Comment below the line or suggest which strikes you think should have been nominated.
1) Billie Simpson (Cliftonville Ladies v Sion Swifts Ladies, 9 August 2018)
If there has ever been a better goal scored in the history of the Northern Ireland Women’s Premiership then we would like to see it.
2) Zlatan Ibrahimovic (LA Galaxy v Toronto FC, 28 September 2018)
In typical fashion, the Swede notched up his 500th career goal in some style. The 37-year-old taekwondo black belt utilised his martial arts background to devastating effect.
3) Andros Townsend (Manchester City v Crystal Palace, 22 December 2018)
Manchester City only dropped points once at home in the entire 2018-19 season. If any goal was worthy of taking two off the treble winners, then it was Townsend’s thunderbolt.
4) Lionel Messi (Real Betis v Barcelona, 17 March 2019)
The Argentinian sealed his spectacular hat-trick with a chip so good that it earned him a standing ovation from the entire stadium.
5) Fabio Quagliarella (Sampdoria v Napoli, 2 September 2018)
The veteran striker rolled back the years with this outrageous piece of skill. The 36-year-old was Serie A’s top scorer last season, with this being the pick of his 26 goals.
6) Matheus Cunha (Bayer Leverkusen v Leipzig, 6 April 2019)
The then 19-year-old announced himself to the Bundesliga with some audacity as he finished off Champions League rivals Bayer Leverkusen.
7) Ajara Nchout (Cameroon v New Zealand, 20 June 2019)
There are few bigger stages to score a goal of such quality than a World Cup, and Nchout’s wonderful solo effort helped secure Cameroon’s only win of the competition.
8) Juan Fernando Quintero (River Plate v Racing Club, 10 February 2019)
The Colombian, who had a spell in Europe with Porto, has found his home in Argentina. He sent River fans into hysterics with this outrageous free-kick.
9) Amy Rodriguez (Utah Royals FC v Sky Blue FC, 16 June 2019)
The World Cup winner and two-time Olympic gold medallist might yet add a Puskás Award to her CV after this phenomenal run and strike.
10) Daniel Zsori, Debrecen vs Ferencvarosi TC, 16 February 2019
Many people would dream of scoring an overhead kick in the last minute to win a match for their team. Daniel Zsori is one of the few who have lived that dream.